Friday, 19 September 2008

Malcolm Searle

malcolmsearle Former TV quiz show host and radio presenter Malcolm Searle passed away earlier this week at the age of 77.

Tamworth-born Searle was the original host of the Melbourne-based quiz show Coles £3000 Question from 1960 until ill-health forced him to resign in early 1963. He was later one of the 'Good Guy' presenters on Melbourne's popular music radio station 3AK.

Searle then moved to Brisbane as a presenter on the recently-launched TVQ0 before moving to Sydney to host The Marriage Game. He later returned to Queensland, working in the hotel and restaurant industries and maintaining other business ventures.

In the late 1970s, Searle had returned to Brisbane to host the game show Pyramid Challenge for the 0-10 Network.

The funeral for Malcolm Searle was held today in Nambour, Queensland.

Source: Jocks' Journal

4 comments:

sophie said...

Actually he was born in Tamworth, on the 7th of July 1931, which would have made him 77. I know this for a fact as I am his niece.

TelevisionAU said...

Hello Sophie, thank you for your comments and I apologise for the errors in this entry. My information was based on articles from TV Times magazines which had him age 46 in August 1978. I have amended my article above accordingly, and of course, sincere condolences to your family at this time.

Gary Kelly said...

I appeared on Ten's New Faces in 1969 and managed to get a job with Ten as a freelance booth announcer. They said I was too young for anything on camera. So my first job was with Malcolm on the Marriage Game and I was paid the handsome sum of $26.10. I also discovered that Noritake is pronounced Nora-taa-key. Hehe. How embarrassing.

Cooper said...

Also in later years, Malcolm used to own a fish shop in the Wilsonton Shopping Centre in Toowoomba QLD.